Sunday, August 21, 2011

Nivea Ad: Racist? Culturally Insensitive?

http://concreteloop.com/2011/08/cl-topic-niveas-new-advertisement-causes-a-stir-whats-your-take-on-it

Soooo... my sis Teley sent me the above link to an article asking me what were my thoughts on the Nivea ad that was posted in the Esquire magazine. We had a very interesting conversation via email about it, in which I will post.

ME:

Lol... So I'm going to post this on my blog by the way. I'm trying to be more social via blog network.

I don't see anything wrong with this ad. Is it his former bearded and full-haired head in his hands that he's throwing out to the birds? I think it is, I can't tell. But people are really becoming to sensitive with these marketing advertisements. Some are quite ridiculous and blatantly racist or prejudice. But if we have to sit down and ask the question, is it, then we are thinking way too hard.

HER:

I didn't know you had a blog!!! Way to go sis!
I can only speak for myself and I personally have a problem with it saying act like you give a damn, or re-civilize yourself. Is it uncivilized to have an afro? My cousins have natural hair and wear afros as their hairstyles daily, is it not acceptable? I didn't know there was such a hard double standard for men. I think everyone should be neat or groomed to an extent, but I don't agree with the correlation of afro or nappy hair with being uncivilized...

Not to mention how significant the afro is to black culture. Black power and all that jazz.

ME:

Omg so this discussion so needs to go on my blog. I originally started a blog during my school daze, sometime pre-Facebook. I simply began by posting some articles that I would write for school and I for some reason deleted them out of fear someone would plagarize my work. But now I'm trying to free up my time (one of the reasons I deactivated my FB and Twitter) and write creatively written opinionated stuff on whatever comes to mind, but I do need assistance * hint hint *. Like this article is going up ASAPy.

So I absolutely get what you are saying... What's civilized vs. the theoretically term "uncivilized"? However, how many tv commercials, magazine ads, billboards have you seen advertising countless products that magically turn a natural-head woman to a silky straight manifesto? For example, the very exaggerated Dr. Miracle commercial with the woman speaking to the unseen hair Doctor in the mirror about her unmanageable natural hair. Where is the outrage towards that? She felt as if she couldn't get a date or whatever with her hair as it was, and then once the doctor works his miracle, it is only then that she feels fab! Sooooo... Back to Nivea....I think if there was a white man who was doing the honors of tossing the head in this ad for this fine handsome guy, by the way, then we would have a problem. But it is not, it is only he, himself, that is basically saying good riddence to his former untamed natural-head. If this was a dark & lovely product, would people make such a fuss? I don't know who the makers of Nivea are. But honestly imagine you are a CEO at Teley Corp. and this guy comes in your office with the "before head" for an interview for a position with your company...would you hire him? I understand that he looks very Black power-ish... But in corporate America, that is a no-bueno. Not saying its right but you're not likely to go far. Women of course can get away with natural hair, dreds, etc. But men NO. At Hampton, all of the male Business, Accounting, Finance etc majors were Required to cut their hair, dreds, etc. They specifically taught them that if you want to get into a Fortune 500 company this is how you must look. Of course they added other aspects such as business attire being worn to class as well as interviews. So Nivea is just saying to our men what we should be telling them anyway. Look the part to get the part.

HER:

That's a verrryyy goood point "Look the part to get the part". So I guess that's a societal pressure to fit this mold of what's "appropriate". That applies more to clothing in my eyes. Look clean and polished and put together. Last I checked you have to have the skills too. But I never understood that, like I said before I'm an advocate for looking neat. So if his afro is combed And round and he's wearing a suit, what's the problem? I guess that's why I'm not the Ceo of my own fortune 500 company.

Don't get me started on dr. Miracles. B ut to each their own some ppl are in love with the creamy crack. And that's absolutely fine, I just wish there was more exposure to the other side. Like carols daughter products. Natural is beautiful. Doesn't always have to have such a negative connotation. Its all self hatred.

As far as your blog! Of course I'll help u though I have no idea what I'm doing. I read a lot of blogs tho. Gotta keep it interesting.

ME:

I totally agree with the need to advertise products like Carols Daughter more.


The next day, Nivea apologized and pulled the ad, which caused many to call the ad racist. I viewed the ad again and realized that it was definitely culturally insensitive and offensive, which stated "Look Like You Give A Damn. Re-civilize Yourself." Nivea is only one of MANY Large companies that have repeatedly posted ads and commercials of ignorance. One can only ponder how many of management hands have this ad been passed along without some objection.